Antonio Conte begins his second season as Inter Milan coach with a mission to stop his former club Juventus winning a 10th consecutive Serie A title.
Conte led Juve to the first three of their current run of nine straight league crowns starting in 2012 before moving on to coach Italy and Chelsea, taking over Inter in May last year.
The 51-year-old's turbulent first season with Inter was played out against a backdrop of the coronavirus pandemic which caused havoc in northern Italy before spreading across Europe.
The fiery Italian looked poised to leave after a dramatic outburst following Inter's Europa League final loss to Sevilla, despite finishing just one point behind Juve in the league.
"I'm not going backwards. I don't want another year like that," he said, blasting lack of support from team management.
Clear the air talks persuaded him the club's Chinese owners shared his burning ambitions to lift a first Serie A title since 2010, the year of their historic treble under Jose Mourinho.
"I have never seen someone who works so hard, with such intensity, like Conte, this characteristic also unites us," said Inter president Steven Zhang. "Reflection was necessary, I found our coach serene, constructive, far from the moods we were told by the media.
"Inter have a mission, a plan, strategies aimed naturally towards victory... I really believe that the path taken is the right one."
As Serie A returns behind closed doors this weekend, both Inter and Atalanta have been given a one-week delay because of their European exertions last month.
Inter's first match will be against Fiorentina on September 26, followed by a trip to newly-promoted Benevento in their rescheduled opening day fixture four days later.
Gian Piero Gasperini's Atalanta meanwhile start at Torino a few hours before Inter begin their season and then travel to Lazio in their postponed first round match.