Maintaining your balance at old age
Maintaining your balance means less risk of falling — an important goal for seniors. The Cleveland Clinic offers these suggestions to help prevent falls:
• Make sure one hand is always free. Carry items in a backpack.
• Never try to do something else, such as reading, as you walk.
• While walking, swing both arms from front to back. This will help improve posture and balance.
• Do not shuffle or drag your feet as you walk. Make sure you consciously pick up your feet off the floor.
• Do not pivot sharply to make a turn. Instead, face forward and make a wider turn. Go slowly while changing positions, and use an assistive device if needed.
• While standing, make sure feet are shoulder-width apart.
• Avoid shoes with grippy rubber soles, which may get caught and cause you to fall.