Eleven-year-old Aman was waiting in front of Gandaria High School in Old Dhaka yesterday, waiting for his school's shift to begin.
As he went to sit in the security guard's shed adjacent to the school gate and leaned against one of the iron poles, the fifth-grader was electrocuted and knocked unconscious.
He was immediately taken to a nearby hospital and later shifted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH), where doctors declared him dead.
Aman and his mother lived in a small rented house in Sutrapur Natun Rasta area in Old Dhaka. His father, a bus-helper, died six months ago and his mother worked as a domestic help to make ends meet, said Aman's uncle Abdul Khaleque.
The family was still getting over the demise of the child's father when another tragedy hit them.
“The incident was caused by an electric wire that was left open behind the pole,” said Kazi Mizanur Rahman, officer-in-charge of Gandaria Police Station.
Filing of a case was underway in this regard.