Clash with New Market traders: Dhaka College students place 10-point demand
Blaming traders and police for Tuesday's (April 19, 2022) clash in New Market area, Dhaka College students last night (April 20) held a press conference at the ANM Najib Uddin Khan Khurram Auditorium of the college and placed a 10-point demand.
On behalf of the Dhaka College students, Sujoy Bala and Masum Billah read out the demands.
Their demands are:
1. Perpetrators and attackers should be identified and punished. They named some perpetrators and demanded their arrests.
2. Medical treatment costs of the injured students should be provided by New Market Traders Association and law enforcers.
3. Proper compensation should be provided for deceased courier service worker Nahid Hasan's family.
4. Those who attacked an ambulance have to be identified and brought to the book after examining video footage.
5. On-duty deputy commissioner, assistant deputy commissioner and officer-in-charge of New Market Police Station should be removed and they have to apologize to Dhaka College administration.
6. CCTV cameras should be installed at every market.
7. Code of conduct should be implemented for shopkeepers and other workers.
8. Walkways should be free of illegal encroachment and extortion must end.
9. Monitoring cell should be formed to prevent harassment and sexual harassment at markets.
10. Chandrima Super Market and New Super Market which were leased on Dhaka College's land, should be given back.