230 primary schools in Jhenidah without headteachers
The posts of headteacher at 230 government primary schools in all the six upazilas of Jhenidah has been vacant for a long time, disrupting academic activities.
Moreover, administrative work at those institutions is also being badly hampered due to the shortage of headteachers.
According to Jhenidah District Primary Education Office, 42 schools in Sadar, 60 in Shailkupa, 33 in Harinakundo, 26 in Moheshpur, 21 in Kotchandpur, and 48 in Kaliganj upazilas are running without headteachers.
A number of teachers of those institutions said in absence of a regular headteacher other assistant teachers are at times reluctant to follow the instructions of the acting headteacher.
The absence of a regular headteachers also hampers coordination among the assistant teachers, they alleged.
Shilpi Khatun, assistant teacher at Raghunathpur Government Primary School in Kaliganj upazila, said a headteacher is the ultimate authority of an institution, who maintains all the administrative work and guides other teachers as well.
A headteacher also takes a few classes that relieve the other teachers from the extra burden, she added.
Another assistant teacher Atiar Rahman of Bagirgachhi Government Primary School said classes are being badly hampered in absence of a regular headteacher, depriving the children from proper education.
Jhenidah District Primary Education Officer (DPEO) Jahangir Alam said due to lack of initiative for direct recruitment, the posts of headteacher at 230 primary schools in the district have remained vacant for long.
As per government rules, 65 percent of the headteachers are appointed through promotion of senior teachers while the remaining 35 percent are directly appointed, said the DPEO.