2,000 unidentified people sued over Hajiganj clash
At least 2,000 unnamed people were sued in two cases filed over the attacks on puja mandaps and the police-mob clashes in Chandpur's Hajiganj upazila last night following the reported incident of "demeaning the Holy Quran" in Cumilla.
Mohammad Harunur Rashid, officer-in-charge (OC) of Hajiganj Police Station confirmed the development to The Daily Star.
He added that police filed the two cases.
In the two cases, names of five to six persons were mentioned while 2,000 unknown people were made accused in the cases, he added.
Seven people were detained in this connection so far, the OC said, adding that police will conduct a combined operation to arrest the other accused involved in the incidents.
Meanwhile, temple committees are preparing to file cases for vandalising the places of worship, informed Mithun Vadra, general secretary of Hajiganj puja celebration committee.
Section 144 will remain in place till further notice, said Sohel Mahmud, additional superintendent of police of Chandpur district.
The whole upazila will remain under constant surveillance, he added.
The bodies of those who died during the police-mob clashes last night were handed over to family members and their last rites were performed, confirmed Upazila Nirbahi Officer Momena Akhter.
Meanwhile, at least 1,000 people were sued in three separate cases filed with Pekua Police Station over Wednesday's violence in Cox's Bazar's Pekua upazila.
Sheikh Mohammad Ali, officer-in-charge of Pekua Police Station said three separate cases were filed with the police facility where at least a thousand people were made accused.
Two cases were filed by the victims of the incidents while another case was filed by police, the OC added.
Police have detained nine persons in this connection, he said.