N’ganj Factory Fire: Deadlines over, yet none of 3 probe bodies gave report
Although the deadlines expired, none of the three probe bodies, formed to investigate the fire incident at Hashem Food and Beverage factory in Narayanganj, submitted their reports.
The factory, located in Kornogop area of Rupganj, caught fire on July 8, claiming at least 51 lives.
After the incident, three government bodies -- Narayanganj district administration, Fire Service and Civil Defense authority, and the Department of Inspection for Factories and Establishments -- formed three separate probe bodies.
Of these, the district administration and fire service's probe bodies were supposed to submit reports by seven working days, while the Department of Inspection for Factories and Establishments by five working days.
But no probe body has so far submitted reports even after 21 days of the incident.
Contacted, Debashis Bardhan, deputy director (operations and maintenance) of Fire Service and Civil Defense, said his department's probe report might be submitted on Sunday.
He also informed that the fire might be originated from a melting exhaust fan due to excessive heat on the ground floor.
As there were huge flammable substances, the fire spread fast, he added.
Farid Ahmed, joint inspector general of the Department of Inspection for Factories and Establishments, said, "Our deadline has been extended and we are working on it. We hope to submit the report shortly."
Mostain Billah, deputy commissioner of Narayanganj, echoed with Farid and said "Deadline for report submission has been extended and we are working to submit it soon."
Earlier on July 10, a police officer filed a case with Rupganj Police Station, alleging negligence against eight persons including Abul Hashem.
All eight were arrested hours after the case was filed.
Of them, five persons including Abul Hashem were later released on bail, while three others are now behind bars.