Pvt university student dies in fire at Niketan flat
A private university student died after fire originated at a flat in Dhaka's Niketan area this morning.
The deceased was identified as Mashrur Ahmed (23), who recently graduated from Computer Science and Engineering department of Brac University.
The youth, from Bogura, arrived at his sister's house a couple of days ago to collect his certificates from the university and attend a wedding of a friend.
His sister's family was at their village home when the fire originated around 7:00am on the fifth floor of the building.
On information, two firefighting units rushed to the spot, doused the fire and recovered the youth in an unconscious state, said Md Rajib, senior station officer of Tejgaon Fire Station.
He was rushed to Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery where doctors declared him dead around 9:30am, hospital sources said.
The fire official said, "There was a lot of smoke in the room… We are suspecting the air-conditioner caught fire due to electric short-circuit."
A school friend of the deceased said Mashrur got results of his bachelor's degree just a week ago. He was supposed to go abroad for higher studies.
The body was sent to Dhaka Medical College Morgue for autopsy, said Abul Hasan, officer-in-charge of Gulshan Police Station.