'Brazil fire caused by fireworks'
The chief investigator in the southern Brazilian city of Santa Maria yesterday said that cheap fireworks meant for outdoor use caused a deadly nightclub fire.
The death toll in Sunday's blaze reached 235 people after a 21-year-old man died of his injuries in hospital. Brazil is marking three days of national mourning for the victims.
Police chief Marcelo Arigony said the band had chosen not to buy more expensive indoor flares. Four people have been arrested in connection with the blaze including a member of the band Gurizada Fandangueira, blamed for the start of the flames.