2 Huji men remanded | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, February 25, 2008 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:00 AM, February 25, 2008

Aug 21 Attack

2 Huji men remanded

Two detained Harkatul Jihad Al Islami (Huji) militants who were involved in the August 21, 2004 grenade attacks were placed on three days' remand yesterday.
During the remand, the two detained Huji militants -- Moulana Abul Kalam Azad alias Bulbul and Hossain Ahmed alias Tamim -- will be quizzed in front of another detained Huji leader Mufti Moinuddin alias Abu Zandal for cross-checking the information earlier gleaned from Zandal, said investigators.
On February 21, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) filed petitions before the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate's (CMM) Court, Dhaka, seeking five days' remand for Bulbul and six days for Tamim.
After hearing the remand petitions yesterday, the CMM Court granted three days' remand for each of them.
Earlier, Bulbul in a confessional statement before a magistrate said that he had taken part in the August 21 attack while Tamim gave crucial information about Zandal during his previous remand.
Sources said Zandal had admitted to the interrogators of leading a 12-member team to conduct the grenade attack on an Awami League rally on Bangabandhu Avenue on August 21 in 2004.
He had also admitted that he was the first to detonate a grenade on the rally. He, however, claimed that he did not know who masterminded and financed the attack.
Investigators said Zandal, a close aide of detained Huji operations commander Mufti Abdul Hannan, is concealing information about the attack that left 24 AL leaders and activists dead and scores injured.
Zandal, arrested on February 14 in Gazipur, is now on a seven-day remand and being interrogated by the CID at the Taskforce for Interrogation (TFI) cell in Dhaka.
On February 15, Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) seized 41 grenades from Satkhira following leads gathered from Zandal.
The grenades were seized from Huji activist Nazrul Islam Gharami's house at Shimulia village in Debhata upazila. The crime busters also arrested Nazrul following the seizure of the grenades.
Meanwhile, a Satkhira Court yesterday placed Nazrul on a 10-day remand for interrogation.
Our Satkhira correspondent adds: Nazrul Islam Gharami, who was arrested on February 15 in connection with the seizure of 41 grenades from his village home at Shimulia in Debhata upazila, was placed on a 10-day remand yesterday.
Following the recovery of the grenades, the Rab filed a case with Debhata Police Station accusing Zandal and Nazrul.
Court sources said, Lokman Hakim, officer in charge of Debhata Police Station and investigation officer of the case, yesterday submitted the ten-day remand prayer before the Chief Judicial Magistrate's Court, Satkhira.
After a long hearing, Judge Ranu Bilkis Banu granted ten days' remand for the accused.
Nazrul was taken to TFI cell in Dhaka yesterday afternoon for interrogation, said sources.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone and Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News