24 shops, 6 houses gutted in Rangamati
At least 24 shops and six dwelling houses were gutted in a devastating fire which broke out at a market at Old Marishya in Baghaichhari upazila on Friday night.
Police said the fire originated from an electrical short circuit at a shop at about 11:00pm and soon engulfed the adjoining houses and shops.
A CNG-run auto-rickshaw and one motorbike were also damaged by the fire.
As there is no fire station in the area, the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) members with the help of local people extinguished the blaze after around three hours of frantic efforts.
OC Ataur Rahman of Baghaichhari PS, quoting locals said, the short circuit took place at the shop of Mohammad Saiful at the Minee Bazar and soon the fire spread to the other establishments.
However, none was injured, he added.
Baghaichhari upazila chairman Sudarshan Chakma, BGB Commander, UNO Rehan Uddin, municipality mayor Mohammad Alamgir Kabir, among others, visited the spot.
The extent of loss from the fire was estimated at about Tk one crore, said police.