No link with 'plot in army'
Abdullahhil Aman Azmi, a former brigadier general in Bangladesh Army, also a son of former Jamaat-e-Islami chief Ghulam Azam, yesterday claimed neither he nor any of his family members was involved in the recent "failed coup in the army".
Reading out a written statement at a media conference in his Moghbazar residence in the capital, Abdullahhil said "imaginary news reports" have been published by different news outlets trying to link him and his younger brother, who lives in the UK, with the "failed coup".
"I strongly protest against such false, baseless, fabricated and motivated news," he said claiming that a vested quarter has been publishing such news in a bid to tarnish the image of him and his family.
The former brigadier general condemned the "attempt to carry out a coup", and demanded stern punishment for those who were involved in it.
Mentioning that he served the army wholeheartedly for 30 years with sincerity, honesty, and discipline, Abdullahhil claimed all serving and retired senior officers including the present army chief and the retired chiefs, who were and have been in the army since his joining in the force, will give testimony in favour of his claim.
"There is no instance of me being punished for violating discipline," he claimed adding that he devoted his whole life for the development and prosperity of the army.
He also claimed neither he nor any of his family members knows the "reported plotter of the coup", Ishraq Ahmed, who "reportedly resides in Hong Kong".
"None of our family has even any remote relation with a person of that name," he said.
News reports about his younger brother Numan Azmi living in Malaysia or Pakistan and contacting Ishraq are also blatantly false, Abdullahhil claimed.
"Actually he [Numan] has never been in any third country other than Bangladesh and the UK," Abdullahhil said adding, "This morning I talked to him several times and he is now in the UK."
He urged all journalists to report news responsibly.
Replying to a query he said, he heard that a Malaysia based television channel interviewed Numan, but claimed he did not listen to a single word of that interview.
On his assessment of "the failed coup attempt", Abdullahhil said the matter is under investigation and he would not make any comment.
Asked why he was dismissed from the army, he said the government on June 23 last year relieved him from the force through a gazette notification. "But there was no allegation of discipline violation against me in the 30 years of my service in the army," he added.