Faruque provoked all with monarchy story | The Daily Star
11:00 PM, October 06, 2009 / LAST MODIFIED: 11:00 PM, October 06, 2009

Bangabandhu Murder Hearing

Faruque provoked all with monarchy story

Said in his confession that monarchy to be declared Aug 15

The Supreme Court yesterday heard for the second day yesterday the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman assassination case.
Syed Faruque Rahman, a convict in Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman assassination case, said that he, on August 14, 1975, had excited his colleagues, saying that President Sheikh Mujibur Rahman would proclaim monarchy in the country on August 15, the democracy will be damaged and the country will go under the possession of India and therefore they should depose the government of Sheikh Mujib.
Following his brief, the army men attacked the Dhanmondi house of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and killed him and others in the morning on August 15, 1975, he said it to the magistrate in his confessional statement.
Barrister Abdullah-al Mamun, counsel for convicts Bazlul Huda and AKM Mohiuddin Ahmed, yesterday placed this confessional statement of Faruque Rahman while placing submission before the Supreme Court (SC) during the second day hearing of the case.
Meanwhile yesterday, the five-member Appellate Division headed by Justice Md Tafazzal Islam asked the lawyers and journalists to be careful in making statements or reports on this case.
At the start of the hearing Attorney General Mahbubey Alam told the court that different lawyers and journalists on television talk shows are making different comments on the consequence of the case, which is not right.
The court can pass order asking the lawyers and journalists to be restraint in making comments, he said.
Barrister Mamun told the court the counsels for both the state and the defence of the case should be restraint in delivering statements on the case.
The attorney general's office should be careful in delivering statements, as he had earlier said that the case would be resolved within this year, he said.
The court said not only both the parties in the case but all including the media should be restraint on the matter.
The apex court yesterday adjourned the hearing and fixed 9:30 am today for further hearing on the appeals of the five convicts.
The five convicts -- dismissed army personnel Syed Faruque Rahman, Sultan Shahariar Rashid Khan, Mohiuddin Ahmed, AKM Mohiuddin Ahmed, and Bazlul Huda -- who are in jail now, filed the appeals with the SC in October, 2007.
Mamun in his submission yesterday concluded placing the statement of Syed Faruque Rahman, and started placing confessional statement of another convict, Sultan Shahariar Rashid Khan.
He will also continue submission today.
After the hearing, Mamun told reporters that Syed Faruque Rahman was forced to make confessional statement to the magistrate and then judge of the High Court Justice Md Ruhul Amin in his verdict of this case did not accept this statement.
He said another judge of the High Court Justice ABM Khairul Haque in his verdict accepted the statement.
Mahbubey Alam told journalists at his office that the media can publish reports on the proceedings of Bangabandhu murder case but nobody can make comments on TV talk shows on who are innocent and who will get released.
Meanwhile, the courtroom of the case was shifted to room no 2 from room 3 of the Appellate Division. The first day's hearing was held at room no 3, which is smaller in size than courtroom 2.
A number of lawyers and journalists were present at the courtroom during the hearing.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top