Nightmare in Montreal | The Daily Star
11:00 PM, August 15, 2009 / LAST MODIFIED: 11:00 PM, August 15, 2009

Nightmare in Montreal

GIANT-KILLER: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France celebrates winning a point against Roger Federer of Switzerland during their quarterfinal match of the Montreal Masters at Uniprix Stadium on Friday.Photo: AFP

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal both exited the Montreal Masters on a historic day of ATP tennis Friday when the world's top eight reached the quarterfinals at the same event for the first time.
The number one and two in the world were unable to carry the flag for the elite, with Federer letting a 5-1 lead in the final set escape as Jo-Wilfried Tsonga grappled to a 7-6, 1-6, 7-6 victory in the quarterfinals.
Second seed Nadal, the defending champion, was humbled by rising Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro 7-6, 6-1 as the Spaniard continued to test his form after two and a half months out to rest injured knees.
Del Potro will next square off against on-fire American Andy Roddick, a winner over fourth seed Novak Djokovic 6-4, 7-6.
Roddick has lost his last two finals in close calls, at Wimbledon against Federer and last weekend against Del Potro in Washington, a match decided on an electronic line call.
Tsonga fought back from 1-5 down in the final set to overcome Federer and end the world number one's 21-match winning streak.
"It happens in tennis," Federer said. "It's never over until it's over. It showed today."
The Swiss star's game collapsed under relentless assault from the Frenchman, with Tsonga twice breaking Federer as the 15-time Grand Slam champion served for victory.
Tsonga set up three match points on Federer's serve in the 12th game, which the Swiss saved.
His luck ran out in the tiebreaker as seventh seed Tsonga set-up a meeting with third-seeded Briton Andy Murray.
Federer's loss ended a run of impressive form which began with a title victory at the Madrid Masters in May over Nadal and progressed through to Grand Slam trophies at the French Open and Wimbledon.
"It was a very up-and-down match, obviously," said the disappointed Swiss, who will travel with his family to Cincinnati for next week's ATP Masters event.
"I should have won the first set. He completely lost his game for an hour there, through the second, the third.
"It was unfortunate I couldn't serve it out.
"All in all I thought it was a decent match. I didn't think it was bad, but it wasn't great, either. It's one of those matches I can live with."
Murray overcame a battle with the elements to stay in contention for his best career ranking thanks to a 6-2, 6-4 quarterfinal win over Russia's Nikolay Davydenko.
Murray, who trained in steamy Miami for two weeks leading up to his summer hardcourt return in Canada, said he was able to get on top of the sweltering 30 degree Celsius heat.
Murray is poised to take the world number two ranking from Nadal.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone and Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News