Make policy to protect arable land: HC | The Daily Star
05:50 PM, April 15, 2014 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:53 AM, March 08, 2015

Make policy to protect arable land: HC

Make policy to protect arable land: HC

The High Court today ordered the government to immediately form an expert committee to formulate a policy for protecting agricultural land from reduction.

According to the order, the committee will have to submit a report along with necessary recommendations to the court in 90 days.

In response to a writ petition, the HC also issued a rule upon the government to explain why its inaction and failure to stop reduction of agricultural land and to protect such land should not be declared illegal.

The government will have to form the committee with relevant experts to formulate the policy on how the agricultural land can be protected from ongoing reduction following the HC order, petitioner’s counsel Manzill Murshid told The Daily Star.

Secretaries to the ministries of agriculture, land and food and cabinet secretary and three other high officials of the government have been asked to comply with the order and to make reply to the rule, he added.

The HC bench of Justice Salma Masud Chowdhury and Justice Md Habibul Gani came up with the order and rule after hearing the petition by Human Rights and Peace for Bangladesh (HRPB).

The rights group submitted the petition on April 9 seeking necessary orders from the HC to stop reduction of agricultural land.

The petitioner said the agricultural land of the country is reportedly reducing due to housing, industrialisation and many other reasons, for which the production of crops including food grains is decreasing.

Life of people of the country will be at risk if the reduction of production of crops is not stopped and therefore, the agricultural land has to be protected, it said.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone and Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News