Workplace Mistakes to Avoid
We spend a big portion of our day at our workplace. Dealing with clients, cracking deals, and presenting ideas are just a few to name among the ocean of work that we get done each day. However, the mistakes that we often make in the workplace might not always have to be work related. So let's take a look at the most common workplace mistakes we should avoid:
1. Not preparing for meetings: In every organisation, meetings are essential. However, you should not just be present in a meeting without knowing anything about the company or the person. And please do not ask for a pen or paper from the person you have a meeting with. That just shows your carelessness.
2. Forgetting to follow up: Just finishing a meeting does not mark the end of the project. Following up with important clients is necessary, because it can convert leads into closed deals. Also, keeping meeting minutes during the meeting and sending them to all the attendees will show your drive for your work.
3. Playing the blame game: Many of us have the habit of putting the blame on others. When something from their end is not done, they blame the circumstances or someone else from the team to get away with their mistakes.
4. Taking too long at lunch breaks: It is understandable that we all need a break to re-energise ourselves at work. But taking a two-hour lunch break every other day cannot be justified. It might lead to staying way past your work hour to balance out the timings. So make sure your lunch hour is not more than what is actually needed to finish your meal.
5. Exploiting company utilities: Many organisations provide utilities such as mobile allowance and car services to their employees for a smoother work environment. But sometimes, people start taking advantage of these office utilities for their personal use and benefit. Of course, once in a while, using these facilities for your personal need is acceptable. But using a company car to, for example, pick up your kids from school every day, is not a good practice.
6. Over or under dressing: This is one point that is very tricky. Not dressing for the occasion is something that many of us suffer from. Going to your office with a full face of heavy make-up is not ideal, and neither is wearing your washroom sandals to an office meeting. Try to find a balance.
These mistakes may look very small, but most times, these are the mistakes that keep you squarely stuck in the same cubicle. So make sure you are not guilty of any of these mistakes and see your career bloom.