Govt to challenge Delwar's bail
The government has decided to challenge a High Court order that had granted bail to Tazreen Fashions Limited owner Delwar Hossain over a deadly fire at the factory in November 2012, which killed 112 workers.
A process to file an appeal with the Supreme Court is underway, acting Attorney General Murad Reza told The Daily Star.
The acting attorney general has already assigned an advocate-on-record to submit the stay petition against the HC's bail order, he said.
It will take two or three days more to file the petition, he added.
The HC on July 24 granted ad interim bail to Delwar in the case.
The HC granted bail to Delwar, managing director of Tuba Group, considering that his workers are yet to get salaries as he is in custody, Deputy Attorney General Shafiul Bashar Bhandari told reporters quoting Delwar's lawyer AM Aminuddin.
However, Aminuddin could not be reached for comments as he is now in USA.
In December last year, police pressed homicide charges against 13 people, including Delwar and chairman of the company Mahmuda Akhter, also Delwar's wife.
The couple are also facing charges of negligence that led to so many casualties in the blaze.
According to the charge sheet, they had constructed the building as per a faulty plan and illegally used the ground-floor walkway as a warehouse.
Of the 11 other accused, the factory manager, quality manager, engineer and production manager were shown as fugitives in the charge sheet.
In June last year, a probe body formed by the home ministry submitted a report to the HC, saying there was “unpardonable negligence” on the part of the owner.