B’baria Accident: Turna driver, two others at fault | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, November 16, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 06:15 AM, November 16, 2019

B’baria Accident: Turna driver, two others at fault

Says railway probe report

A railway probe committee has held the driver, his assistant and the guard of Turna Nishita Express responsible for Tuesday’s fatal accident in Brahmanbaria, that left 16 passengers dead and scores injured.

The five-member committee, led by Nasir Uddin, divisional transport officer (Chattogram), submitted its report yesterday.

“We have filed our report with the divisional railway manager [Chattogram] and he will forward it to the top railways authority,” Nasir Uddin told The Daily Star over phone.

He, however, refused to disclose any findings of the probe.

This is the first among the five investigation committees which has submitted its report.

Soon after the accident, Bangladesh Railway suspended Turna Nishita driver Taser Uddin, his assistant Apu Dey and guard Abdur Rahman over violating signals.

Asked whether the probe found the three guilty, a member of the probe committee said, “Their names came up several times.”

Contacted last night, BR Director General Md Shamsuzzaman said he was yet to receive the investigation report.

Earlier on Thursday, Railways Minister Nurul Islam Sujan said he would disclose the probe findings after receiving reports from the three committees formed by the BR and his ministry.

He expressed optimism that three probe reports would be available within next week.

The Dhaka-bound Turna Nishita Express rammed Chattogram-bound Udayan Express from Sylhet at Mandobagh Railway Station in Brahmanbaria’s Kasba early on Tuesday.

Visiting the spot on Wednesday, the railways minister said the driver of Turna Nishita Express violated signals, which caused the accident.

FOUR MORE REPORTS PENDING

The railways ministry had formed a four-member probe committee, led by Additional Secretary Rafiqul Islam and asked it to submit a report within five working days.

The BR formed a four-member investigation committee, headed by Chief Operating Superintendent (East) Nazmul Islam, and asked it to come up with its report as soon as possible.

The ministry also asked the government railway inspector to probe the incident and submit a report.

Moreover, the Brahmanbaria district administration formed a probe body, led by Additional District Magistrate Mitu Mariyam, and asked it to file a report within three working days.

Talking to The Daily Star yesterday, Mitu said although they could not talk to any railway officials yet, they were hopeful of completing their probe within the deadline of Sunday.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top