Home draws up safety plan
The government has taken a number of steps to ensure foolproof security for the family members of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
Besides, they will get overseas treatment and utility services with government expenditure, according to a gazette notification, signed by Senior Home Secretary Mozammel Haq Khan, published yesterday.
Family members of Bangabandhu are now getting protection of Special Security Force (SSF). They also enjoy housing facilities as per a law called "Father of the Nation's Family Members' Security" promulgated in 2009.
The gazette notification will be effective immediately. Available on the BG Press website, the gazette specified the added security measures and facilities under Section 4 (3) of the law, which mentioned the two surviving daughters and their children as the family members of the Father of the Nation.
According to the gazette notification, the security measures that the family members of the Father of the Nation will be entitled to are:
1. Their residences will have suitable, secure and safe fencing for facing any situation of threat or sabotage;
2. Necessary steps will be ensured so that the security forces can take strategic positions surrounding their residences;
3. If any building, structure or position adjacent to their residences appears to pose any threat, then the security of the residences will be ensured by evicting or changing that building, structure or position;
4. Residents of multi-storied building surrounding their residences will be brought under continuous surveillance;
5. Steps will be taken to keep the entrance and exit to their residences safe from any kind of attack;
6. Fire service vehicles with necessary equipment will be kept ready round the clock at their residences;
7. Making round-the-clock security arrangements for the family members inside their residences, especially in those places where they move;
8. Bringing their residences under CCTV camera surveillance;
9. Installing security alarms inside and outside their residences;
10. Checking everyone entering their residences with metal detector;
11. Scanning all objects, products and equipment before they enter their residences;
12. Arranging for more than one special exit ways for immediate exit from their residences;
13. Deploying required numbers of round-the-clock security guards at their residences.
According to the notification, the added facilities that the family members will be entitled to are:
1. Necessary actions by the public Works department to repair, extend and maintain their residences;
2. One driver and a vehicle with required petrol;
3. Telephone, gas, electricity, safe water supply and high-powered internet service with government expenditure;
4. Making arrangements for a well-equipped medical ambulance at their residences for immediate medical treatment;
5. Making arrangements for medical treatment in or outside the country with government expenditure;
6. Appointing a personal assistant, two bearers, one cook, one gardener and a sweeper with government expenditure.
The gazette also says, "Any other kind of support or related equipment or product required for ensuring the security of the family members of the Father of the Nation, will be provided by other ministries or divisions or agencies, for example, by the cabinet division, the home ministry, the housing and public works ministry and the finance ministry."