Two killed in ‘gunfights’ with police

One of them was murder-accused
Star Online Graphics

Two people, including a prime accused in a murder case, were killed in separate “gunfights” with police in Chattogram and Laxmipur early yesterday.

In Chattogram, the dead was identified as Md Russell, 23, from Darji Para area in Chandgaon.

Speaking to the The Daily Star, Abdur Rahim, inspector (investigation) of Chandgaon Police Station, said, “Russell was the prime accused of a murder case filed with the station over stabbing and killing 22-year-old Jiad Hossain.”

Jiad was stabbed by some criminals on September 15 over controlling cable television network business in the area. Police had been conducting drives to arrest the criminals since then, he said.

On information, a police team conducted a drive at Jele Para field in Chandgaon around 1:45am to arrest the criminals, he added.

“Sensing our presence, the miscreants attacked police with firearms and locally made weapons. Police also opened fire in retaliation. At one point, the criminals fled the scene leaving Russell dead on the spot,” Inspector Rahim claimed, adding that they recovered a light gun, five bullets, a knife and two machetes from the spot 

He also said six policemen were injured during the incident, and have been given primary treatment.

Russell’s body was sent to Chattogram Medical College Hospital morgue for autopsy.

In Laxmipur, Arif Hossain, 35, was killed in a “shootout” with police, in Sadar upazila’s Shakchor area, for his alleged involvement with a robbery gang.

However, Arif’s relatives said he was a CNG-run auto-rickshaw driver who had been “missing” for the last four to five days.

AKM Azizur Rahman, officer-in-charge (OC) of Laxmipur Sadar Police Station, said they had information that an armed gang was preparing for a robbery.

“When a team of patrol police went to the spot, the robbers opened fire. Police retaliated, which forced the robbers to flee,” the OC said.

Police recovered Arif’s bullet-hit body from the spot and took him to Laxmipur Sadar Hospital, where doctors declared him dead, he added.

Police also claimed to have recovered a gun, three bullets and two knives from the spot.

This correspondent asked the OC which robbery gang Arif belonged to and what cases were filed against him, but the police official could not answer.

The Daily Star, however, could not independently verify the law enforcer’s claims.