Kitchen fire kills elderly woman | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, May 23, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:06 AM, May 23, 2019

Kitchen fire kills elderly woman

The victim, suffering from vision impairment, met the tragedy while cooking

An elderly woman with vision impairment died yesterday when her clothes caught fire in kitchen in Chatmohar upazila. 

The incident took place in Wapda embankment area of Handial union.

Union Parishad Chairman Zakir Hossain and locals said the 65-year-old woman, Ayesha Begum, wife of Wasim Uddin, was suffering from vision loss and lived with her sister in the area.

Around 5:00pm yesterday, when her sister was out of the house, Ayesha went to the kitchen to cook.

Her clothes caught fire at some point. But when locals responded to her scream for help and doused the fire, it was too late, Zakir said.  

Chatmohar Upazila Nirbahi Officer Asim Kumar said the upazila administration would take necessary steps to rehabilitate the family of the deceased.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top