Five people, including three of a family, died from electrocution in Panchagarh and Netrakona on Saturday night.
Our Thakurgaon correspondent reports, three members of a family were electrocuted, including an elderly man and his two sons, while fishing in a waterbody nearby their house at Panimach Mahanpara village in Panchagarh Sadar upazila on Saturday night.
The deceased are Shahidul Islam, 60, and his two sons Nazirul Islam, 30, and Asadur Rahman, of the village.
Quoting the deceased family members, Panchagarh Superintendent of Police Mohammad Yusuf Ali told this correspondent over cell-phone that Nazirul went to catch fish in a water body nearby their house around 6:30pm.
After an hour, his father Shahidul and younger brother also went there and did not returned home.
After a while, Shahidul’s grandson Mohammad Mamun, who followed his grandfather, saw the trio’s bodies floating in the waterbody and raised a hue and cry.
Hearing screams, locals rushed to the spot and saw a snapped electric wire in the water and found the trio in an unconscious state.
After switching of the power connection they rescued the three and took them to Panchagarh Sadar Hospital where the doctors declared them dead.
Away in Netrakona, an elderly woman and her minor grandson died from electrocution at Bolnia village in Sadar upazila on Saturday night, reports our Mymensingh correspondent.
The victims were identified as Sharifa Akter, 55, wife of Nazrul Islam, and her eight-year-old grandson Arman Hossain of the village.
Quoting neighbours, Sub Inspector (SI) of Sadar Model Police Station Billal Hossain said Nazrul came in contact with a live electric wire, set up around a poultry shed to save the birds from fox’s attack, and sustained critical injuries.
Meanwhile, Sharifa got electrocuted when she went to save his minor grandson.
Family members and neighbours rescued them and took them to Netrakona General Hospital where the doctors declared them dead around 8:30pm, said the SI.