A fire gutted at least 17 houses at Nilkantho village in Belgachha union of Kurigram Sadar upazila early yesterday.
Two people also sustained burn injuries in the fire incident. They were later admitted to Kurigram General Hospital.
Local people said the fire originated from an electric short circuit of a house around 1:00am and soon engulfed the adjacent 16 dwellings.
On information, firefighters rushed to the spot and doused the blaze after hours of frantic efforts, said local union parishad (UP) member Aminul Islam.
At the time, two men sustained burn injuries when they tried to douse the fire, said villagers.
Saiful Islam, a resident of the area, said the fire gutted his household items worth Tk one lakh.
The UP member claimed that the loss caused by the fire go up to Tk 20 lakh.