Three cotton godowns, a jute godown and nine shops were gutted in separate fire incidents of Manikganj and Faridpur districts yesterday, report our correspondents.
Three tin-shed cotton godowns were gutted at Kamta village in Saturia upazila of Manikganj yesterday.
Halima Khatun, worker of a godown, said the fire oroginated from a running machine in a room beside the godown around 11:00am.
The blaze spread rapidly and gutted the adjoining tin-shed godowns, she said.
On information, firefighters rushed to the spot and doused the blaze with the help of locals, said a fire official.
The extent of loss caused by the fire could not be ascertained immediately, said Station Officer of Manikganj Fire Service Unit Khandaker Jannatul Naim.
Meanwhile, a jute godown and nine shops were gutted in a fire in Magchami Mridhar Bazar area of Madhukhali upazila in Faridpur.
Locals said the fire originated from an electric short circuit at one Bachchu Mia’s jute godown and soon spread to the adjacent shops at Magchami Mridhar Bazar around 2:00am.
On information, two teams of Madhukhali Fire Service and Civil Defence rushed to the spot and extinguished the fire after three hours of frantic efforts, said Titob Shikdar, station officer of Madhukhali Fire Service and Civil Defence.
The loss caused by the fire could go up to Tk 3 crore, said the station officer.