Five shops gutted
Five shops were burnt to ashes in a fire in Rangerhat Bazar area under AbhoynagAr upazila of Jessore district yesterday. Nasiruddin, officer in-charge of Abhoynagar Police Station, said the fire originated from an electric short circuit at a cloth shop in the area at about 2:30am and soon engulfed four other adjacent shops. On information, a firefighting unit rushed to the spot and put out the fire. Affected shop owners estimated the loss caused by the fire to be around Tk 14 lakh.