Police Brutality On Jashore Student: 3 cops took ‘unethical benefits’ to release Imran, SP tells HC | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, June 29, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:00 AM, June 29, 2020

Police Brutality On Jashore Student: 3 cops took ‘unethical benefits’ to release Imran, SP tells HC

Superintendent of Jashore Police Muhammad Ashraf Hossain yesterday submitted a probe report to the High Court, saying that three police personnel of Kotwali Police Station had taken "unethical benefits" from the father of college student Imran Hossain for releasing him from their custody.

The police personnel are: assistant sub-inspectors of Sajiali Police Box under Kotwali Police Station Sumaresh Kumar Saha and Sajdar Rahman, and constable Md Faruk Hossain. 

Imran Hossain, a second-year student of Kazi Nazrul Islam Degree College under Jashore Sadar upazila, was reportedly tortured by police on June 3 without any specific allegations. The torture left Imran with damaged kidneys, his family claims.

The SP also said in the report that departmental action has been taken against the three for taking "unethical benefits", Humayun Kabir Pallob, a petitioner and a Supreme Court lawyer, said citing the SP's report.

He submitted the probe report to the HC through Deputy Attorney General Samarendranath Biswas during a virtual hearing on a writ petition in line with its June 23 order.

Jashore Civil Surgeon Dr Sheikh Abu Shahin submitted a separate report to the HC through DAG Biswas, saying Imran was "drugged" when he was admitted to Queens Hospital. Now, he is doing well, he said. 

After examining the reports, the HC yesterday sought a dope test report and relevant documents regarding his treatment. The court asked the civil surgeon to submit them by July 5.

The bench of Justice JBM Hassan passed the order and fixed July 5 for further hearing. According to news reports, on June 3, Imran -- a resident of Shahbazpur in Jashore Sadar upazila -- was returning home on a battery-run rickshaw with a friend from Salua Bazar in the evening. Policemen of Sajiali camp in front of Jashore University of Science and Technology stopped them and started searching their bags.

Intimidated, as Imran ran in fear, police chased him and beat him up, leaving him unconsciousness on the street. He later regained consciousness after receiving treatment at a local pharmacy.

At that time, the police said that he was arrested with cannabis in his pocket. Later, police released Imran in exchange of a bribe of Tk 6,000 and threatened to place him on remand if he told anyone about the incident, Imran's father Nesar Ali alleged.

Upon returning home, Imran's condition deteriorated and he was admitted to Queen's Hospital in Jashore on June 8. A kidney specialist at Jashore Medical College Hospital said Imran's kidneys had stopped working, and he needs regular dialysis. He was referred to DMCH for better treatment. He is at home now.

Based on newspaper reports on the incident, Supreme Court lawyers Humayun Kabir Pallob and Kauser Ahmed submitted the petition to the HC on June 18.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News