A woman has died and more than 100 people fell sick after having dinner at a wedding ceremony in Sunamganj.
Jali Rani Dev, 35, died at Sunamgan Sadar Hospital on Friday night, two days after she had joined the programme in Sadokpur village of Sadar upazila.
Several hundred people had dinner during the marriage ceremony of daughter of late Pranesh Talukdar at his house on Wednesday.
The attendees started falling sick since Thursday morning, with the primary symptoms being fever, pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
The incident was confirmed by Sunamganj Civil Surgeon Ashutosh Das who is one of Pranesh Talukdar’s relatives.
“I attended the wedding ceremony with my family. My wife has also fallen sick and I have feeling muscle pain since this [Saturday] afternoon,” said the civil surgeon.
Some 41 people were undergoing treatment at Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College, 39 at Sunamgan Sadar Hospital and around 30 at Derai Upazila Health Complex, he said.
“Primarily, we suspect that it was food poisoning and indigestion. But, I asked DGHS, IEDCR and ICDDR,B to investigate the matter,” he said.
Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) has already sent a seven-member probe team, he said.
“The team will start working in Sylhet on Sunday morning and then in Sunamganj. They will also visit Pranesh’s house,” he said.
Pranesh’s brother Jishutosh Das, one of the organisers of the marriage ceremony, told The Daily Star yesterday that meat, dal and fish were among other items in the dinner. No guest complained about the quality of those items, he said.
Jishutosh said the bride’s mother Chhanda Rani Talukder also became sick and was taken to the ICU at Mount Adora Hospital in Sylhet.
In addition, domestic animals who ate the leftovers fell ill, he said, adding that some fishes of a pond where dishes were cleaned also died.