Electrocuted SSC candidate loses battle for life at DMCH | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, February 28, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:32 AM, February 28, 2020

Electrocuted SSC candidate loses battle for life at DMCH

He came in contact with overhead wire while crossing under-construction footbridge

An SSC examinee, who was electrocuted while walking on an under-construction footbridge to cross Nabinagar-Chandra highway in Savar on February 23, succumbed to his burns at Dhaka Medical College Hospital yesterday.

Junaid Hassan, son of Gafur Hossain, was a student of Anjona Model High School in Kabirpur area.

Police and family members said around 6:30pm on the day, Junaid was crossing the highway in Baroipara area. He came in contact with a live wire, hanging low overhead. He was taken to DMCH right away with 90 percent burns. He passed away around 6am yesterday, said doctors.

Talking to The Daily Star, many locals, including students, said they are using the under-construction footbridge as there is no other way to cross the road there.

The work is going on for the last three months, they said, adding that to cross the road, they have to walk a long distance.

They alleged that live wires of Rural Electrification Board hang precariously over the footbridge and there is no protection or safety measures at the construction site.Many also said the authorities concerned should have closed access to the footbridge, or alert people of the danger.

"I lost my only son due to negligence of the construction firm and rural electrification officials," Gafur Hossain said.

Contacted, Amir Hossain, executive engineer of Manikganj Roads and Highways Division, said, "Construction work of the footbridge is not completed yet, which is why it's not opened to public."

"We are investigating if there is any negligence of constitution firm or rural electrification office," he added.

Officials of the local electrification office was issued a letter to remove the wires but they did not do so, he claimed.

Contacted, Sulaiman Hossen, deputy general manager of Rural Electrification Board (Kaliakair zonal office), said although the area is under their jurisdiction, the electric line belonged to Tangail Rural Electrification Board.

"We knew that the wire hung low, and it was decided that it would be removed this week. Unfortunately, the incident took place before that," he said.

He also blamed the contractor's negligence in this regard.

Javed Masud, inspector (investigation) of Ashulia Police Station, said the victim's father filed a case against two officials of a firm named "Sarder construction".

The inspector did not disclose their names for the sake of investigation. 

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top