The couple, who suffered severe burn injuries in a fire believed to have originated from an explosion of an air cooler in Dhaka’s Uttara area on early Tuesday, has succumbed to their injuries at Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH).
The deceased were identified as Alamgir Hossain Bhuiyan, 56, and his wife Bilkis Farjana Baby, 48, said Inspector Bachchu Mia, in-charge of DMCH police outpost.
Bhuiyan lost his battle for life at the burn unit of DMCH around 1:30pm yesterday while Bilkis died around 1:00pm this afternoon, he told The Daily Star today.
According to the police official, Bhuiyan was the president of Biman Bandar Thana unit Shwecchasebak League and his wife Bilkis held the post of organising secretary of Uttara Thana unit Mohila League.
They suffered 95 per cent burns in the explosion, he added.
Contacted, Tanjin Shahriar, the younger brother of Bhuiyan, said the couple, who used reside in an apartment on the fourth floor of a seven-storey building in Uttara’s section no. 3, returned home around 1:00am on Tuesday after attending a programme.
“Minutes after they switched on the air-cooler, it went off, erupting a blaze that left them seriously injured,” he said.