Couple burned in house fire lose battle for life | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, March 26, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 10:52 AM, March 26, 2019

Couple burned in house fire lose battle for life

A couple, who suffered severe burn injuries in a fire believed to have originated from an explosion of an air-conditioner in Dhaka's Uttara area on March 19, have succumbed to their injuries at Dhaka Medical College and Hospital.

The deceased are Alamgir Hossain Bhuiyan, 56; and his wife Bilkis Farjana Baby, 48; said Inspector Bachchu Mia, in-charge of DMCH police outpost.

Bhuiyan passed away at the burn unit of DMCH around 1:30pm on Sunday, while Bilkis died around 1pm yesterday.

According to the police official, Bhuiyan was the president of Biman Bandar Thana unit of Swecchasebak League and his wife Bilkis held the post of organising secretary of Uttara Thana unit Mohila League.

They suffered 95 percent burns in the explosion, he added.

Contacted, Tanjin Shahriar, younger brother of Bhuiyan, said the couple -- who used to reside in an apartment on the fourth floor of a seven-storey building in Uttara's sector 3 -- returned home around 1am last Tuesday after attending a programme.

“Minutes after they switched on the air-conditioner, it went off in a blaze that left them seriously injured,” he said.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top