College girl goes missing in Ctg | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, July 10, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:03 AM, July 10, 2019

College girl goes missing in Ctg

A college student has been missing since Monday noon in Chattogram, after she came out from a coaching centre in the port city’s Chawkbazar, her family has claimed.  

The family lodged a missing person diary with Chawkbazar Police Station after the incident.

Tahmina Akhter Nisho, 18, is a student of Chattogram Model College, said family members and police. She lives with her family at Jhawtola of Khulshi.

Police said she went missing after she came out of Retina Medical Coaching Centre without attending coaching class. However, her family members claimed that miscreants called them up, said she was abducted, and demanded Tk 20,000 as ransom.

Nisho’s elder brother Riad Hossain Rony told The Daily Star, “Like every day, my mother and sister went to the coaching centre at around 8:30am [on Monday]. My mother was waiting at guardians’ room after dropping off my sister on the third floor of the coaching centre.”

“Scrutinising CCTV footage of the coaching centre, we found that my sister came out from there at around 9:30am and walked to Gulzar Tower. The coaching centre authorities had shifted her class to another building,” he said, adding that his mother started looking for Nisho after coaching break at noon, but her cell phone was switched off.

“After we posted a photo of her on social media seeking help to find her whereabouts, a person called me up and said she was seen with a young man inside a fast food shop near Gulzar Tower. The two had a minor physical altercation inside the shop.”

He said talking to witnesses at the fast food joint, they found that Nisho came out of the café and boarded a rickshaw along with the boy. Her cell phone has been switched off since, he said, adding that yesterday morning, a youth phoned them and said her sister was kidnapped. He demanded Tk 20,000 as ransom for her release.

Sub-Inspector (SI) Afsar Uddin Rubel of Chawkbazar Police Station said police were investigating the matter.

“We are yet to collect the CCTV footage of the fast food shop as there was an electricity shutdown in the area due to flooding. We talked to witnesses who saw the girl there,” the SI said. 

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News