Attack on Ghoraghat UNO: 7hrs to process a remand! | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, September 18, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 04:10 AM, September 18, 2020

Attack on Ghoraghat UNO: 7hrs to process a remand!

No statement of suspect Rabiul recorded

Rabiul Islam, the prime suspect of the hammer attack on the UNO of Ghoraghat Upazila of Dinajpur, was taken to fresh three-day remand yesterday, after seven hours at the judicial magistrate's court building. 

Imam Zafar, investigation officer of the case, brought Rabiul to the court compound at around 11:30am, and produced him before the court of Anjuman Ara Begum. It could not be learnt when he was produced before the court, but at around 6:30pm, the IO said the court granted three-day remand for Rabiul after he appealed for a seven-day remand.

Asked whether Rabiul, a former staffer of Ghoraghat Upazila Parishad,  was brought for a confessional statement under Section 164 before the court, he said they did not appeal for recording a confession.

However, sources at police and the Chief Judicial Magistrate's court building said they learned Rabiul's statement could not be recorded under 164 before the court in the seven hours.

Asgar Ali, court inspector-in-charge of police told this newspaper that Rabiul was taken to the courtroom immediately upon arrival, and he was taken away at 6:30pm. 

A large number of police personnel were deployed at the court compound while top officials of Dinajpur police were also present. Rabiul was seen wearing a helmet and bulletproof jacket.

Rabiul was taken in for a six-day remand on September 12, which ended yesterday.

Debdas Bhattyachariya, DIG of Rangpur on September 12 claimed that Rabiul admitted to police that he was involved in the attack on UNO of Ghoraghat Wahida Khanam and her father Omar Ali Sheikh in the early hours of September 3.

Police picked up Rabiul, his two brothers and wife from his house at Dhamahar village in Biral Upazila of Dinajpur at around 1am on September 10, and took them somewhere to interrogate, said Rabiul's brother Azizar Rahman.

Rabiul was shown arrested in the case on September 12.

Md Siddik, father-in-law of Rabiul, claimed that police took away two hammers from his home during a raid on the same day.

On the other hand, UNOs of all 13 upazilas of Dinajpur got a letter from the Deputy Commissioner's office of Dinajpur recently, notifying them that Rabiul Islam has been fired from his job on September 1, a day before the attack on Wahida.

The letters reached to the all UNOs office in the last couple of days.

Mahmudul Alam, DC of Dinajpur, did not receive phone calls for comments.

Rabiul was suspended in early January after he was accused of stealing money from the purse of the UNO, which he returned.

After the attack on the UNO, Rab of Rangpur arrested Asadul Haq -- a Jubo League leader of Ghoraghat, Nabiul Islam and Santu Biswas. Later, in a press briefing at Rab headquarters in Rangpur, Commander Reza Ahmed Ferdous claimed that the arrested persons were involved on the attack over a burglary attempt.

The case was then handed over to DB.

DB police took Asadul Haq, Nabirul Islam and Santu Biwas in seven-day remand. They were sent to Dinajpur jail on completion of remand.

Three witnesses in the case have so far testified before the court under section 164.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News