A devastating fire ripped through five floors of a ready-made garment factory, Dignity Textiles Mills Ltd, at Sreepur upazila in Gazipur yesterday.
No causality was reported but the flames were sweeping up to the top floor of the seven-storey steel building till filing of this report at 12:00midnight.
Officials said 16 fire fighting units, tackling the fire, were facing difficulties as they could not go near the building due to excessive heat and the boundary wall was too strong to be bulldozed.
A huge amount of thread, cotton, cloth and equipment was gutted, said Akteruzzaman Liton, deputy assistant director of Gazipur's fire office.
There were flammable products on all floors, and the building is still risky, said Director General of Bangladesh Fire Service and Civil Defence Brig Gen Ali Ahmed Khan.
Administrative Manager of the factory Nazmunnahar Kemi said the fire originated in the warehouse on the third floor around 2:15pm when all workers were outside the building on lunch break. The floor was completely destroyed, she added.
Fire officials suspect that the fire originated from an electric short circuit.
Around 3,000 people work at different knitting, dyeing, cutting, finishing and other sections of the composite factory, owned by Deel Hue, a national of Mauritius.