90 percent villages under power coverage | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, June 22, 2018 / LAST MODIFIED: 02:21 AM, June 22, 2018

90 percent villages under power coverage

State Minister Nasrul Hamid tells JS

Ninety percent of the country's villages have come under power coverage at present while the government is expected to ensure 100 percent electrification to all villages by December this year.

Sate Minister for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Nasrul Hamid said this while replying to lawmakers' queries at parliament yesterday.

“Bangladesh Rural Electrification Board has already brought 90 percent villages under power coverage. Activities for bringing the rest 10 percent are underway,” he said.

In reply to another question, Nasrul informed the House that his ministry has given instruction to the respective authorities to ensure uninterrupted supply of electricity across the country during World Cup football.

There is no shortage of electricity in the country as capacity to produce electricity is higher than demand. But electricity disruption takes place sometimes due to limitations in transmission and supply networks, scarcity in gas supply and more use of air-conditions and fans in summer.

“Under these circumstances, instructions were given to monitor the electricity management to keep the power supply normal during the World Cup,” he added.

Replying to another question, Nasrul said the government has undertaken various projects in different terms aimed at implementing “Sheikh Hasina's initiatives to supply power to every house” by 2021.

“The power generation capacity has already reached to 18,353MW and the government has fixed its target to increase electricity generation capacity to 24,000MW by 2021,” he added.

He said the government has undertaken projects to improve capacity of distribution and transmission lines. Also, they have a plan to increase the capacity as part of 100 percent electrification by 2021, he added.

In response to another query, Nasrul Hamid informed the House that the government has no plan to provide gas supply through pipelines for households as the ministry is encouraging usage of LP gas.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News