Housing and Public Works Minister SM Rezaul Karim yesterday said the people who lost their lives in Thursday's fire at a Banani building were murdered.
“We want to clearly say that those who were killed in the fire were not victims of any accident. These are murders that take place due to negligence of the [building] owner, developers or others [involved in the construction],” he said after visiting FR Tower in the capital yesterday.
Such incidents happen due to negligence of some unscrupulous Rajuk officials, greed of landlords and developer companies, he added.
“A murder case will definitely be filed if the probes find negligence behind the killings.”
He then referred to the people responsible as people who only possessed the appearance of human beings.
“We will publish a report, because people should know [who they are].”
Visiting the scene, Inspector General of Police Mohammad Javed Patwary said, “It will be better if family members of the victims file the case. If they are unwilling, police will file the case.”
He added that the owner of the building had been identified.
The police chief also raised questions about Rajuk's role.
“The building was supposed to be 18-storey, but it is 23-storey. And this happened 14 years ago. Then what was Rajuk doing?”
Dhaka North City Corporation Mayor Atiqul Islam said owners of high-rise buildings will be asked to submit documents related to their safety measures in 10 days or face action.
DMP Commissioner Asaduzzaman Mia said, “We will bring the responsible persons to book.”