Four of a family died in a gas cylinder blast inside a residential house in Islampur Sharif Market area of Gazipur city on Wednesday night.
The victims -- Shah Alam, 38, his wife Monira Begum, 30, their eight-year-old son Bayazid, and four-year-old daughter Fatema -- lived in a tin-shed house.
Shah Alam used to work as a quality inspector at Renaissance Apparel Ltd and his wife Monira was a sewing operator at the same factory, said AKM Kausar Chowdhury, officer-in-charge of Bason Police Station.
Zakir Hosen, senior station officer at Joydebpur Fire Service Station, told The Daily Star that they were suspecting that the fire might have originated from a leakage in the rubber pipe attached to the cylinder while Monira was cooking inside the kitchen around 9:30pm.
“On information, a team of firefighters rushed to the spot and rescued the charred bodies,” he said, adding that the fire also gutted the furniture of two adjacent houses but no one was injured.