Floods kill 23 in Malawi | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, March 10, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:00 AM, March 10, 2019

Floods kill 23 in Malawi

Floods caused by incessant downpours have left 23 people dead across Malawi, the country's Homeland Security Ministry said on Friday.

In addition to the confirmed deaths, 11 people were also been reported missing with around 110,000 affected, a statement said.

Twelve districts, all in the south of the country, had been blighted by the deluges.

Malawi defence force and police search and rescue teams were working in collaboration with the Malawi Red Cross, the statement added.

In one affected district, Mulanje, camps had been set up for displaced people, Commissioner Charles Makanga told AFP.

The rains also hit transport links with two major bridges submerged, cutting off access to Blantyre, Malawi's second largest city.

According to the country's Meteorological Department, sporadic downpours are due to continue until the middle of next week.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top