A deadly mistake | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, July 02, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 03:09 AM, July 02, 2020

A deadly mistake

Girl dies after being mistakenly given acid instead of water

A 5-year-old girl died after drinking water mixed with acid when she asked for some water at a jewellery shop in Dinajpur's Nawabganj upazila.

Police arrested the jeweller Md Saiful Islam, 34.

Saiful mistakenly poured from a bottle of water mixed with Nitric acid, which jewellers use to purify gold, when the girl, Meftaul Zannat, 5, from the upazila, asked for some water.

Morsheda Begum, 34, took her youngest daughter Meftaul to Soma Jewellers in Nawabganj bazaar yesterday noon to buy some gold ornaments.

Meftaul's grandmother Razia Khatun was also there.

At the shop, the girl was playing around and, at one point, asked her mother for some water.

Saiful, poured from a bottle and gave the glass to the Meftaul, who fell sick after drinking from it.

She died on the way to Nawabganj Upazila Health Complex.

Ashok Kumar Chowhan, officer-in-charge of Nawabganj Police Station, said the body of the girl was sent to M Abdur Rahim Medical College Hospital for autopsy. He added that Saiful was arrested.

Speaking to The Daily Star over phone, Meftaul's grandmother said they were going to file a case in this regard.

Dr Shahjahan Ali Upazila Health Officer of Nawabganj said that the girl seemed to have ingested "some poisonous liquid".

 

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top