Cops making another list of yaba lords for surrender | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, April 06, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 05:28 AM, April 06, 2019

Cops making another list of yaba lords for surrender

Nearly two months after the surrender of top 102 yaba godfathers and traders in Cox's Bazar, police are now drawing up a fresh list of people involved in the trade of crazy pills for a second surrender programme.

“We have instructed the police to take initiatives for a second surrender programme in Cox's Bazar for those who want to leave their life of crime behind them,” Habibur Rahman, deputy inspector general at the Police Headquarters (PHQ), told The Daily Star yesterday.

Earlier on February 16, the 102 narcos formally surrendered to law enforcers at a programme at Teknaf Pilot High School.

According to sources, at least five people already contacted the district police to include their names in the new list.

Some narcotics traders in Teknaf and Cox's Bazar have communicated with a private TV channel correspondent, who had acted as an intermediary between some drug traders and law enforcers before the first surrender programme, they added.

Requesting anonymity, a top district police official said a number of narcotics traders started contacting the police after the news of the new surrender programme spread in the area.

Mohammad Redwan, 28, and Nurul Haque Bhutto, 33 have confirmed police that they will surrender.

Sources said Redwan's brother Ekram Hossain, a top narcotics trader, is now behind bars following his surrender on February 16. The two brothers own a market and two duplex buildings in Maulavipara area of Teknaf, sources said.

Redwan's another brother Abdur Rahman went to Dubai after the law enforcers had launched a countrywide anti-narcotics drive last year. Rahman was also trying to contact police for surrender.

Accused in at least six cases, Bhutto is another top narcotics dealer in the district. His three-storey building in Teknaf's Nazirpara area was damaged by locals.

Talking to The Daily Star yesterday, Cox's Bazar Superintendent of Police ABM Masud Hossain said they had already started the process of organising the second surrender programme.

“We are now trying to communicate with the narcotics traders directly and also through some intermediaries,” he added.

Meanwhile, the district police have taken an initiative to form anti-narcotics committees in Teknaf's five unions, sources said.

Each of the committee will be comprised of 20 local people who would perform their activities under the supervision of police and using information from the top narcotics traders who have already surrendered.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top