Attack on UNO: Probe body yet to start investigating | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, September 09, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:26 AM, September 09, 2020

Attack on UNO: Probe body yet to start investigating

The three-member body formed to investigate the vicious hammer attack on Ghoraghat UNO Wahida Khanam is yet to start its investigation as police investigate the incident.

Abdul Wahab Bhuiyan Divisional Commissioner of Rangpur has formed the committee on Thursday, hours after UNO Wahida and her father Omar Ali Sheikh came under the gruesome attack by unidentified assailants.

Md Zakir Hossain, additional divisional commissioner (general) of Rangpur, is the head of the committee. Asif Mahmud, additional district magistrate of Dinajpur, and the deputy inspector general of police in Rangpur are the members of the committee.

The committee was asked to submit the report within seven working days.

Talking to The Daily Star, Zakir said they would seek an extension of the report submission deadline as they could not begin the investigation.

Contacted, Abdul Wahab said police were investigating the matter and that had confidence in the investigation of police.

On the other hand, police have not made much progress in investigating the attack.

Debdas Bhattyachariya, deputy inspector general of police in Rangpur, told this correspondent that although police were trying hard, there was no significant development in the investigation.

Meanwhile, detective branch (DB) of police, which is currently investigating the case filed over the attack, detained two people -- Iyasin Ali, driver of Ghoraghat AC Land office, and Arshola Hembram, house cleaner of the UNO residence -- for interrogation on Monday evening.

Meanwhile, Jobaida Begum, a domestic help at UNO Wahida's residence, was released on Monday evening, said Amirul Islam, officer-in-charge of Ghoraghat Police Station.

Eight people have so far been detained in connection with the incident. Of them, three have been released.

Three suspects -- Asadul Haq, Nabirul Islam and Santu Das -- have been on a seven-day remand.

People of Ghoraghat formed a human chain in the upazila yesterday demanding immediate arrest and punishment of the attackers.


Physical condition Wahida, who is undergoing treatment at National Institute of Neurosciences and Hospital, has improved much, UNB reports quoting the doctors yesterday.

"All the parameters of her health have improved and she is having liquid food," Dr Mohammad Zahed Hossain, chief of the Neurotrauma Department at the National Institute of Neurosciences and Hospital, told reporters.

Asked whether she was out of danger, Dr Zahed said it was difficult to say.

Replying to another question, Dr Zahed said they were thinking of shifting her to a bed from the High Dependency Unit.

"The decision to shift her to a cabin will be taken on Wednesday and the medical board will make the call," he said.

After the attack, the UNO and her father were initially taken to Rangpur Medical College and Hospital.

Later, the UNO was airlifted to Dhaka.


Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News