2 killed in AL factional clash in Faridpur | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, August 11, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:29 AM, August 11, 2019

2 killed in AL factional clash in Faridpur

Two people were killed and 13 others injured as two groups associated with the Awami League clashed over establishing supremacy at Kaichail village in Nagarkanda upazila yesterday.

The deceased were Rowshan Mia, 52, and his nephew Tuhin Mia, 25, both residents of the village. Rowshan was a senior officer of the local branch of Sonali Bank, said police.

Locals said there had been a longstanding rivalry between Kaichail Union Parishad Chairman Kabir Hossain alias Thandu Mia and Jubo League leader Hanif Mia alias Hridoy.

The deceased were supporters of the union chairman, Kabir.

Hanif lives in Dhaka and was coming to his village home yesterday.

When the microbus carrying Hanif, his family members and supporters reached Kaichail Madhyapara Darul Ulum Madrasa area around 5:00pm, the followers of his opponent attacked them with sharp weapons including machetes and vandalised the vehicle, said locals.

Hanif responded by opening fire on his opponents with his shotgun.

During the 30-minute clash, at least 15 people from both groups were injured, and 10 of them suffered bullet wounds. Rowshan and Tuhin were among those hit by bullets. They died on the way to Faridpur Medical College Hospital.

Contacted, Kaichail union Chairman Kabir Hossain, also general secretary of the union AL, said his supporters were holding a meeting at the spot. At that time, Jubo League leader Hanif opened fire on them without provocation.

Hanif was not available over phone for comments.

Contacted, Hanif’s brother Hasan Mia said the supporters of Kabir first attacked them while they were coming to the village.

He, however, admitted that his brother Hanif opened fire on his opponents.

Shahin Mohammad, emergency medical officer of the medical college hospital, said two bullet-hit persons were brought dead to the hospital around 7:10pm.

Talking to The Daily Star, Mizanur Rahman, officer-in-charge of Nagarkanda Police Station, said police rushed to the spot after hearing the news and brought the situation under control, but no one filed any case till 8:20pm.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News