Diaz Murder: Former CU asst proctor sent to jail
12:00 AM, December 19, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:36 AM, December 19, 2017

Diaz Murder: Former CU asst proctor sent to jail

Former assistant proctor of Chittagong University Anwar Hossain Choudhury was sent to jail after he surrendered before a court yesterday in connection with murder of Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) central leader Diaz Irfan Chowdhury.

Hearing the news, a faction of BCL CU unit has meanwhile called an indefinite strike on the campus.

The Court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Munshi M Mashiar Rahman passed the order after rejecting Anwar Hossain's bail petition, said Diaz's lawyer advocate Mohammad Abu Monsur.

Anwar was earlier granted an ad interim bail by the High Court for six weeks which was non extendable, said the plaintiff lawyer, adding that the HC had also asked him to surrender before a judicial court in Chittagong.

As his six-week bail expired yesterday, he surrendered before the court and sought bail, the lawyer said.

Eyewitnesses said during hearing of the bail petition, a faction of BCL activists led by former CU unit president Mohammad Alamgir Tipu, who is also an accused of the case, chanted slogans outside the court premises.

CU STRIKE

Immediate after Anwar Hossain was sent to Chittagong Central Jail, a faction of BCL CU unit loyal to several accused of the case called an indefinite strike on the campus demanding withdrawal of the case and immediate release of the former assistant proctor.

The agitating BCL men padlocked the university's main entrance around 11:50am and took position there blocking the road.

They also blocked the shuttle train service plying between the campus and the city till 4:00pm and put barricade on the Chittagong-Hathazari road at 2:30pm causing immense sufferings to the general students returning to the city.

Police removed the blockade around 3:30pm, said Additional Superintendent of Police of Hathazari (Circle) Abdullah Al Masum.

The agitating BCL men also burned tyres in front of the main gate creating panic among the students.

Talking to The Daily Star, Tipu said, “The strike was withdrawn for today but will resume from tomorrow [Tuesday].”

Claiming himself and other accused innocent, he added they were implicated in a false case and demanded immediate withdrawal of the case and quick release of the university teacher.

CU Proctor (acting) Litan Mitra confirmed the BCL withdrew the strike for yesterday after discussion with the authorities.

Normalcy returned to the campus and the train communication resumed, he added.

Earlier on November 20, 2016, the body of Diaz, central assistant secretary of the BCL, was found hanging by the ceiling at his room near the campus.

Diaz's mother filed the murder case on November 24 with a Chittagong court against around 20 people, including the then CU assistant proctor Anwar Hossain and Tipu.

The other accused are former CU BCL general secretary Jamsedul Alam Chowdhury, former entertainment affairs secretary Mizanur Rahman, Publication Secretary Rashedul Islam Jisan, vice-presidents Md Mansur Alam and Abdul Malek, Joint Secretary Abu Torab Parash, Organising Secretary Md Arman and member Ariful Haque Apu.

A second autopsy of the body conducted at Dhaka Medical College Hospital said Diaz was strangled to death.

However, the first autopsy done at Chittagong Medical College Hospital claimed he had committed suicide.

His family members and fellow leaders claimed he was murdered by rivals over tender manipulation.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top