8 bodies pulled out from capsized Bay trawler
The members of Coast Guard today recovered eight bodies of the overseas jobseekers from inside the Malaysia bound trawler that sank off the Kutubdia coast in the Bay with 100 people on board on Thursday.
Tarek Mostafa, contingent commander of Kutubdia Coast Guard said that they recovered the eight bodies from the bottom layer of the wooden made trawler after conducting a search inside the boat around 12:30pm today.
More than 50 overseas jobseekers are feared drowned after a fishing trawler with about 100 people on board sank off the Kutubdia coast in the Bay of Bengal yesterday morning.
Bangladesh Coast Guard and police have so far rescued 43 victims, including three alleged human traffickers.
The trawler was not in condition for a thorough search as a portion of it had been still under water yesterday, Tarek told our correspondent that the.
Law enforcers were looking for owner of the trawler, he added.
Three of the rescued victims were traffickers. He said Coast Guard and Bangladesh Navy officials had continued their search for the missing fortune seekers but chances for their survival were getting slimmer with every passing minute.
The trawler that set off from Chittagong in the early hours was carrying the hapless passengers to a cargo vessel anchored in the deep waters that would have made the illegal, perilous voyage to Thailand and from there to Malaysia, sources said.
The passengers aboard were lured by traffickers with the promise of lucrative jobs in Malaysia, according to one of the rescued victims.
Sources at the Kutubdia Police Station said the trawler had sunk 7 to 8 kilometres off the Kutubdia coast.