Shakib Al Hasan read out an apology note during a press conference at the Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Mirpur yesterday. He said he was sorry for his behaviour which led to him getting suspended by the BCB earlier this month and requested the board reconsider its decision. Photo: Star
Suspended all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan yesterday submitted a prayer to the Bangladesh Cricket Board requesting it to reconsider the suspensions imposed against him on disciplinary grounds.
The Board slapped the ace all-rounder with a six-moth ban from all cricket and decided against issuing him no objection certificate for overseas tournaments for 18 months in a board meeting on July 3.
Shakib appealed yesterday and also made a public statement apologising for his recent behaviour that forced the board take such harsh decision.
“I sincerely apologise if the Bangladesh Cricket Board and Bangladesh cricket team are embarrassed through my behaviour. I also apologise to the fans who always support the Bangladesh cricket team”, Shakib side while reading out an emotional and positive statement in front of a crowded press at the BCB headquarters in Mirpur.
“I accept that as a professional cricketer and as a contracted player of the board I could not act properly on many occasions. I am determined to behave in a more matured way in the future. I respect the decision that the Board has taken regarding me.
“But nothing can be more painful than staying away from cricket. Cricket is my life. I am carrying the colour of the country and have been wearing the BCB logo since I was 15. Bangladesh team is above everything for me,” he continued.
“I have grown up at the BCB with the Bangladesh team. It is a very emotional place for me. As a result, I appeal to the Board to reconsider my suspension.”
BCB acting CEO, Nizamuddin Chowdhury, said that the appeal would be forwarded to the BCB president Nazmul Hassan Papon and that a decision would be taken after due process.
While it is still not sure as to whether there will be any modifications regarding Shakib's suspension, BCB president Papon-- a day after the suspension was imposed-- did indicate that a possible reduction in Shakib's six-month ban.
Speaking to The Daily Star he had said that the board would consider reducing his six-month ban if the all-rounder 'apologised to the public' regarding his behaviour and ' changes his attitude'. Papon however added that the board would not change it's stance regarding its decision to not provide the all-rounder with no-objection certificates.
The left-hander had gotten himself involved in a series of disciplinary issues in the last two months and according to BCB president Nazmul Hassan Papon, the suspension was a result of all the events combined.
During Bangladesh's home series against India, Shakib left the dressing room during an ongoing match and allegedly got into a scuffle with a spectator. He then defied the board's authority and left the country to take part in the CPL without obtaining a NOC from the BCB.
The breaking point, however, was reached when the board learned through a letter from coach Chandika Hathurasingha that the 27-year-old, after an argument with the coach before leaving for the West Indies, had threatened to quit ODI and Test cricket.