• Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Rana Plaza collapse charge sheets soon: Kamal

Star Online Report
File Photo
Source: File Photo

State Minister for Home Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal today said charge sheets against the persons responsible for the last year Rana Plaza collapse would be submitted soon.  

“We’re still working to ensure so that the charges are pressed perfectly. The IGP has assured us that the charge sheet will be submitted very soon,” he said while replying to a query as to why the government could not file charge sheet even after one year of the tragedy.

At least 1,135 people, mostly RMG workers, were killed and around 2,000 other injured when the eight-story building housing five garment factories came down on April 24, 2013.      

Replying to another query, the state minister said police arrested a total of 21 persons involving the Rana plaza collapse. Eight of them got bail from the High Court, he added. 

Kamal said a list of vulnerable buildings across the country is being prepared to avoid such a tragedy and his ministry would carry out any task if given in this regard.

Inspector General of Police Hassan Mahmood Khandker said he would have been happy had the investigation been completed before today. He said an investigation sometimes takes time.

“I can assure you [journalists] that very soon the probe will be completed and those responsible will be brought to book,” he said.

The police chief said a total of four cases have already been filed in this connection and charge sheets have been submitted in two cases.

Published: 7:27 pm Thursday, April 24, 2014

Last modified: 8:59 pm Thursday, April 24, 2014

TAGS: Rana Plaza charge sheets State Minister for Home Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal

Leave your comments | Comment Policy