12:52 AM, August 18, 2013 / LAST MODIFIED: 11:48 AM, August 18, 2013

Daughter surrenders

Cop, wife fed sedatives before murder; police decline to disclose motive

Share this with

Copy this link
Staff Correspondent

Photo pixelated as Oishee is a minor. Photo pixelated as Oishee is a minor.

Detectives yesterday detained three people, including prime suspect Oishee Rahman, in connection with the murder of Special Branch of Police inspector and his wife at their Chamelibagh home in the capital early Thursday.
Detectives said they were investigating whether the couple's 17-year-old daughter Oishee's friend Jony (also known as Rony) and 10-year-old house help Sumi aided in the double murder. They refused to say who Jony was.
At a press briefing at Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) media office, DMP Joint Commissioner Monirul Islam said evidence of Oishee's involvement in the murder has been found after the girl had turned herself in to Paltan police yesterday afternoon.
"The gold ornaments missing from the house since the murder had been recovered from the two bags Oishee took with her when she left her home Thursday morning," said Monirul.
The decomposing bodies of Oishee's parents, Mahfuzur Rahman, 48, and his wife Swapna Rahman, 40, were recovered along with a blood-stained knife and a kitchen knife from Oishee's bathroom on Friday afternoon.
Mahfuzur's colleague said that he was unreachable since Wednesday night, after he went home from work.
They might have been killed on Wednesday night and recovered nearly 40 hours later, Monirul had told journalists before Oishee surrendered.
"The couple had been given sedatives with tea or coffee before they were killed," he told the press yesterday.
After her surrender yesterday, Oishee, who sat for her O levels around a month ago, was taken to Detective Branch's office on Mintoo Road around 3:30pm for interrogation.
According to the security guard of the Chamelibagh flat building, Oishee had gone out with her eight-year-old brother Ohidur Rahman and house help Sumi on Thursday morning.
Later, she contacted her relatives and told them that her parents went to their village home in Rajshahi and she was staying with her friend Trisha in Kakrail.
On Friday, she sent her brother Ohidur home on a rickshaw. "He is with his relatives under police protection. Ohidur is traumatised," said Monirul Islam.
He said, "We do not want to disclose the motive of the murder for the sake of investigation." He, however, hoped to uncover the murder mystery by today.
He also said several people including the caretaker and security guard of the building and some relatives were picked up for quizzing.
Meanwhile, Prof Sohel Mahmud, assistant professor of the forensic department of Dhaka Medical College Hospital told reporters, "According to primary investigation, two or three persons might have been present at the spot during the killing."
"Mahfuzur's body bore two marks of stab injuries -- one in the throat and the other in the belly, while Swapna's had 11 marks," he added.
Mahfuzur's brother Moshiur Rahman yesterday filed a murder case against several unidentified people with Paltan Police Station.

Leave your comments

Share this with

Copy this link