Real culprits left out | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, June 21, 2011 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:00 AM, June 21, 2011

Real culprits left out

Asma terms charge sheet farcical


Asma Kibria, widow of former finance minister Shah AMS Kibria, yesterday outright rejected the supplementary charge sheet in the case filed for her husband's murder around six and a half years back.
Voicing strong resentment, she told The Daily Star that the charge sheet does not identify the masterminds behind Kibria killing.
"We are utterly frustrated over the supplementary charge sheet and we will file a no-confidence motion against it," Asma told The Daily Star over the phone.
She also said the family and their well-wishers will form a human chain in front of the National Press Club within two to three days.
"I am talking to my son, daughter and relatives to work out a protest programme. We are considering forming a human chain," Asma said.
"This charge sheet is farcical; real culprits are not identified in it," she observed adding that the investigation team did not bother to talk to Kibria's family.
Asked about Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's assurance last month that she would look into the matter, an emotional Asma said, “What she [Hasina] had said was nothing but an eyewash. She lacks feelings for him [Kibria] and sincerity about the murder case.
"I believe there is some mystery as to why the masterminds have not been exposed. I think they [Awami League] do not want to identify the real culprits."
Kibria, also a former AL lawmaker from Habiganj, was killed in a grenade attack on a rally at Baidyer Bazar in Habiganj on January 27, 2005.
Police yesterday pressed charges against 24 people including former state minister for home Lutfozzaman Babar and Harkatul Jihad al Islami leader Mufti Abdul Hannan in the murder case.
Of those charge-sheeted, 14 were found to have been involved in the gruesome killing in fresh investigation.
Talking to The Daily Star on May 25, Asma Kibria said she had learned that masterminds behind the murder were not identified in the supplementary charge sheet and that she would not accept it.
She also said she had told the home minister and the attorney general that she would stage demonstrations if the charge sheet was not revised.
Earlier that day, confusion arose over submission of the charge sheet. The police authorities at first said the investigation officer had already submitted the charge sheet to the Habiganj Judicial Magistrate's Court.
However, within an hour, they retracted their statement and said the charge sheet could not be submitted, as the judicial magistrate was not at the court.
Home Secretary Abdus Sobhan Sikder later said the charge sheet was not submitted on May 25 for further scrutiny.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone and Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top