Three members of a family were burnt alive and 44 shanties gutted as a fire broke out at a slum in the town early yesterday.
Locals said the fire might have originated from a mosquito coil at the house of Mono Rani at about 3:00 am and soon engulfed the adjacent shanties of Tanbazar Rally Bagan Slum.
Mono Rani, 60, her daughter Moni Rani, 25, and Moni's son Kishore Chandra, 4, died on the spot.
On information, five firefighting units from Mandalpara and Hajiganj put out the flame after two hours of frantic efforts.
The damage caused by the fire might be worth Tk 50 lakh, OC Akter Hossain of Narayanganj Model Police Station said. A probe committee has been formed to investigate the incident.
The fire rendered Shahnaz Begum, a resident of the slum, broke. She is wondering where she could get a shelter for herself and children.
A wailing Shahnaz said, "I could only come out of the house with my children and dear life." She said 70 houses in the slum were burnt to ashes. The slum dwellers are now living under the open sky, locals said.
Ahsanul Kabir of fire service and civil defence at Narayanganj office said the cause of the fire could not be ascertained immediately. But it may have originated from a mosquito coil or electric short circuit.
AKM Nasim Osman MP, Municipal Mayor Dr Selina Hayat Ivy, district Police Super Biswas Afzal Hossain and Additional Deputy Commissioner (general) Aminulla Noori visited the spot.
Nasim Osman distributed Tk 50,000 among the affected families while the deputy commissioner gave Tk 5,000 to the family of the deceased, Tk 50, 20 kg of rice and one blanket to each affected family, and the Narayanganj municipality distributed winter clothes.