• Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Illegal building at Lalbagh Fort knocked down

Staff Correspondent
Two bulldozers and a crane knocking down a building illegally built on the northwest part of Lalbagh Fort in the capital yesterday. The Department of Archaeology finally succeeded in getting one of the illegal buildings demolished through its relentless efforts since 2009. Photo: Star
Two bulldozers and a crane knocking down a building illegally built on the northwest part of Lalbagh Fort in the capital yesterday. The Department of Archaeology finally succeeded in getting one of the illegal buildings demolished through its relentless efforts since 2009. Photo: Star

The Department of Archaeology yesterday demolished a building illegally built on the northwest part of Lalbagh Fort.
“There are three buildings here. We got clearance for one, and are knocking it down,” said Ataur Rahman, regional director of the department.
He said they had been trying to demolish the illegal structures since 2009.
The building -- a three-storey structure -- belonged to a firm called Doz Industrial Ltd.
The move came following a 2011 High Court directive that ordered authorities concerned to remove the illegal structures built on the heritage site.
Last month, the HC issued a contempt of court rule against the Cultural Affairsz Secretary Ranjit Kumar Biswas and Director General of DoA Afroza Khan Mita for failing to comply with the order.
It also issued a contempt of court rule against independent lawmaker Haji Mohammad Selim for obstructing the authorities in the past. 

 

Published: 12:00 am Thursday, May 15, 2014

Last modified: 2:51 am Thursday, May 15, 2014

TAGS: Lalbagh Fort bulldozers Illegal building Department of Archaeology Ataur Rahman

Leave your comments | Comment Policy