No legal action has been taken against the six Chhatra League activists who were seen brandishing firearms during Sunday's violence at Rajshahi University.
The gun-toting youths took part in the attack on the students protesting fee hikes and evening-shift courses, but none of them is named in any of the cases filed by the police and the RU registrar's office.
Asked why, Registrar Prof Entajul Haque yesterday said, “How can I say about filing cases against the armed cadres? You better ask the top administrators.”
Contacted, Pro-Vice Chancellor Prof Chowdhury Sarwar Jahan said an emergency syndicate meeting on Sunday night took the decision to file a general diary for the violence and brandishing of firearms. “What the syndicate has decided will be executed.”
Proloy Chichim, deputy commissioner of Rajshahi Metropolitan Police, told The Daily Star, “There is no need to file a separate case against the armed Chhatra League men.”
He said the six cases filed by the police, RU authorities and a Bangladesh Chhatra League leader for damaging the university properties and blasting bombs would cover the all allegations.
“May it be arms or cocktails -- all these were for destabilising the situation. The existing cases cover everything,” said the senior police official, who is responsible for law and order at RU.
Asked if the incident of brandishing guns has at least been mentioned in the cases, the deputy commissioner replied in the negative.
He, however, said police were conducting raids to catch the six -- Nasim Ahmed Setu, Samsuzzman Emon, Sudipto Salam, Mustkim Billah, Anwarul Islam Shuvro and Faisal Ahmed.
Sudipto, a former joint secretary of RU BCL, was seen roaming the campus in the last two days. He even talked to journalists yesterday and lamented that police were after him because of newspaper reports.
Of the remaining five, Mustkim is the environment secretary, Shuvro deputy publicity secretary and Faisal Ahmed an organising secretary of the pro-AL student body's RU unit.
The BCL has suspended Nasim Ahmed Setu, RU unit joint general secretary, and Samsuzzman Emon, organising secretary.
In the past, expelled armed cadres were brought back with honour.
The BCL high-ups suspended eight leaders and activists including Tawhid Al Hossain Tuhin, Akheruzzaman Takim, Nasim Ahmed Setu and Atikur Rahman, after a hall unit convener was shot dead in a factional feud on July 16, 2012.
All of them were taken back.
Setu was expelled twice after December 4, 2012, for beating RU Sangskritik Jote president Arif Parvez at Bangabandhu Hall.
Tuhin was made the general secretary of the current RU BCL committee formed on July 20 last year. Around the same time, Takim became a central committee member and Atikur a vice-president.
Former RU BCL president Awal Kabir Joy and general secretary Majedul Islam Apu were expelled after a BCL activist killed at Shah Makhdum Hall on August 23, 2010. Both of them are now active in BCL politics.
RU BCL Vice-President Mehedi Hasan said some BCL men think brandishing firearms is an easy way to get vital posts in the organisation.
“It is a reality nowadays that armed cadres become leaders quickly. Chhatra League takes a lot of flak for them, though the organisation has many good students among its ranks.”
On Sunday's incident, he said a certain quarter had used some cadres to get the blessings of the university authorities and win tender bid. He, however, would not go into details.
PM FOR ACTION
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina yesterday said she has already ordered the home ministry and inspector general of police to take legal action against the gun-toting BCL men.
Those who were carrying arms have already been expelled from the BCL, claimed Hasina, also the chief of Awami League, in parliament.
She also warned that the government will not tolerate Islami Chhatra Shibir men intruding into the movement of left-leaning students.
Earlier, speaking on the point of order, opposition chief whip Tajul Islam Chowdhury demanded the government take stern action against the BCL men for attacking RU students.
He also asked the government to file cases against the BCL men under the arms act.
Countering Tajul, Agriculture Minister Matia Chowdhury cited some incidents of killings during the regime of HM Ershad, including the murder of Dr Milon.